IanSomerhalder.it » Ian Somerhalder Italia • First Italian Forum }

Intervista per gli Emirati Arabi

« Older   Newer »
spiceboy88
view post Posted on 12/1/2010, 11:54

The changing face of evil

Vampires have come a long way since Max Schreck’s grotesque Nosferatu in 1922 and Bela Lugosi’s suavely creepy Dracula in 1931. In fact, by the look of the Cullen family in Twilight and New Moon, and the cross-purposed Salvatore brothers of The Vampire Diaries (this year’s People’s Choice winner of Best New Dramatic Series and premiering tonight on MBC Action), vampires are some of the best-looking creatures walking the earth, undead or alive.

Ian Somerhalder is the heartthrob who stars as Damon, the evil vampire brother, in The Vampire Diaries. He and his brother Stefan, played by Paul Wesley, are attracted to the same high school girl. Stefan wants to protect her. Damon, however, wants to consume her.

“There are many layers of contradiction,” said Somerhalder. “Still, The Vampire Diaries is the PG [parental guidance suggested] version of the vampire myth. A 13-year-old can comfortably watch it with her mother beside her.”

That statement points up two of the major themes coursing through the genre’s resurgent popularity: a focus on a younger and younger audience and a focus on young females. And little wonder as far as The Vampire Diaries television series is concerned. Based on the novels of LJ Smith, the story has been brought to the small screen by the producer Kevin Williamson, who is best known for Dawson’s Creek, the TV series that made household names of many of its then-teenage stars, and the cinema’s Scream franchise, which rocked box offices the world over with its savvy references to teenage-oriented slasher films.

Whereas TV series are usually a writer’s medium as far as plot and character development go, Somerhalder said that Williamson’s hand in the mix altered that. “This is really an anomaly – luckily for me. It is just great storytelling on the small screen. He consults with me. The writers write for me. There is a real collaboration. It’s almost the same freedom you have in doing a film.”

Somerhalder jokingly referred to himself at 31 as “the dirty old man” of the cast, but he is, indeed, the oldest and most experienced cast member other than those playing parents and teachers. He had a recurring role as Boone Carlyle on Lost for six years, showed up in The Tournament (2009) and Pulse (2006) and even had a recurring role in Smallville.

“I think I’m a couple of years older than Paul but, yeah, I’m a lot older than the girls,” he said.

The spotlight is nothing new for Somerhalder, who, at his mother’s urging, began a childhood career as a model at the age of 10. As he reached adolescence, however, he went back to doing what most boys his age were doing: playing sport. He played university football and baseball as a schoolboy before jumping at the opportunity, at the age of 17, to do fashion modelling in Europe.

At 19, he began to study acting, and a chance encounter with an agent while working as an extra in James Toback’s hip-hop feature Black and White led to a series of TV and film roles.

He does not like to talk about his modelling background, but there is no denying that his good-looks and his model’s ability to change his look had a big hand in his landing the role of Damon.

“I change all the time and my character changes with me,” he said with a laugh in response to a question about his somewhat boyish appearance in the show’s pilot in contrast to his sultry handsomeness in the promotional photos. “In every episode, Damon looks different. He really has the power to do whatever he wants and that includes changing his look.”

Getting into the role was not too difficult. “I ran around and bit about 15 people,” he joked before explaining that he grew up around New Orleans where the vampire myth and the influence of Anne Rice, author of The Vampire Chronicles (Interview with a Vampire, etc) were distinct presences.

Somerhalder attributes the current popularity of vampire films and TV series to an enduring human attraction to the qualities that, oddly enough, he points to Ian Fleming’s James Bond as representing.

“People love the bad boy because he represents sex, danger and beauty all in one fell swoop,” he said.

Whether all of this will fly in the Middle East is something of an experiment on the part of MBC. Somerhalder, however, has little doubt that it will work just fine.

“Even if you take out all the racier stuff,” he concluded, “you still have a great story to follow.”

ƒorever
view post Posted on 12/1/2010, 14:03

ehm ehm, riassuntino veloce? xDD

~ wanderer
view post Posted on 13/1/2010, 20:04

CITAZIONE (ƒorever @ 12/1/2010, 14:03)
ehm ehm, riassuntino veloce? xDD

gradirei anche io ihihih xD

spiceboy88
view post Posted on 15/1/2010, 14:37

ecco la traduzione ^^

FONTE

CITAZIONE
I vampiri ne hanno fatta di strada dal grottesco Nosferatu di Max Shrek's al Dracula soave e terreficante di Bela Lugosi del 1931.Infatti grazie all'aspetto della famiglia Cullen in Twilight e New Moon e a quello un pò ribelle dei fratelli Salvatore, nei Diari del Vampiro(tra l'altro vincitore nei people's Choise Awards come Best New Drama),i vampiri sono le creature più affascinanti della terra.
Ian Somerhalder è il rubacuori che interprerta Damon, il fratello vampiro cattivo, nei Diari del Vampiro. Lui e suo fratello Stefan, interpretato da Paul Wisley, sono attratti dalla stessa ragazza. Stefan vuole proteggerla mentre Damon se ne vorrebbe approfittare.
"Ci sono vari strati di contraddizioni" afferma Somerhalder" ma comunque Vampire Diaries è una rappresentazione del mito vampiresco che può essere visto da una ragazzina di 13 anni accompagnato da un genitore".
Tale affermazione pone l'accento su due temi principali che sono complici della popolarità del genere vampiresco : focalizzarsi sui giovani e sulle ragazze. E c'è poco da stupirsi se la tv si sia interessata a Vampire Diaries. Basato sui libri di L.J.Smith è stato portato sullo schermo dal produttore Kevin Williamson, creatore di serie per teenager come Dawson's Creek e film horror come Scream. Di solito le serie tv sono scritte da scrittori medi ma per Vampire Diaries la mano di Kevin Williamson è stata decisiva per lo sviluppo della storia e dei personaggi, che in qualche modo sono alterati rispetto ai libri.
"Questa è davvero un'anomalia, per mia fortuna. E' una storia eccezionale raccontata sul piccolo schermo. Kevin si consulta con me, gli scrittori scrivono per me, c'è una vera collaborazione.E' quasi la stessa libertà che hai mentre stai facendo un film.
Somerhalder scherza sulla sua età, 31 anni, dicendo che è
"il vecchio sporcaccione" del cast, e infatti è il più vecchio e quello con maggiore esperienza insieme agli attori che interpretano genitori o insegnanti.Ha interpretato Boone in Lost per sei anni, The Tournament nel 2009, Pulse nel 2006 e ha anche avuto una partte in Smalville.
"Sono all'incirca più grande di Paul di qualche anno, ma molto di più rispetto alle ragazze" ci dice
Stare sotto i riflettori non è una novità per Ian, che incitato dalla madre a dieci anni inizia una carriera da modello. Poi passa allo sport all'università come giocatore di football e baseball per poi ritornare a fare il modello in Europa.
A 19 anni ha iniziato a studiare recitazione e un incontro fortunato con un agente lo porta a partecipare ad alcune serie televisive. Non ama parlare molto del suo passato da modello, ma non si può certo negare che il suo bell'aspetto e il fatto di cambiare speso look l'abbiano aiutato ad ottenere il ruolo di Damon.
"Cambio spesso e il mio personaggio cambia con me" ci risponde ridendo ad una domanda circa il contrasto tra il suo aspetto un pò infantile nel pilot dello show , rispetto alle foto promozionali in cui ha una bellezza sensuale."In ogni episodio Damon ha un aspetto diverso.Ha davvero il potere di fare ciò che vuole e questo include anche cambiare look"
Ottenere il ruolo non è stato poi così difficile"ho battuto 15 persone" ci dice scherzando prima di spiegarci che comunque lui viene da New Orleans dove il mito dei vampiri è molto presente grazie ai libri di Anne Rice. Somerhalder attribuisce l'attuale popolarità dei film e serie tv sui vampiri al fatto che l'uomo ha una perenne attrazione per ciò che è bello, e secondo lui il James Bond di Ian Fleming ne è un rappresentante.
"Le pesone amano il ragazzo cattivo perchè rappresenta il sesso, la bellezza e il pericolo tutte in un colpo solo"
Se tutto questo arriverà anche nel Medio Oriente è un esperimento che la MBC vorrebbe realizzare. Somerhalder tuttavia crede che potrebbe funzionare.
"Anche se togli tutte le parti piccanti" conclude Somerhalder " riesta comunque una bella storia da seguire

†Ferey†
view post Posted on 16/1/2010, 10:28

Wow...grazie gab per la traduzione...adoro sempre di più Ian...sta creando un personaggio favoloso...rispetto ai libri...tutti sommato il tf e migliore dei libro...è sviluppato mille volte meglio...i libri lasciano il tempo che trovano...bella storia...ma non approfondita abbastanza...risulta banale avvolte ma nel tf diventa incredibilmente intensa.
Grande i produttori^^ e grand Ian che ha creato un Damon incredibile...continua cosi ragazzo xD

sisterchris88
view post Posted on 17/1/2010, 14:58

Uh grazie per l'articolo non l'avevo ancora letto questo!
Ian è fantastico come sempre!
Comunque ha ragione è uno dei più "esperti" sul set e lo si vede, col tempo Damon ci appassionerà sempre di più ne sono convinta!
Io non ho letto i libri non posso fare paragoni ma questo Damon è fantastico!

ƒorever
view post Posted on 17/1/2010, 17:30

uhh, grazie mille per la traduzione **
bha, sarà il più vecchio del cast, ma non lo dimostra affatto u.u <3

6 replies since 12/1/2010, 11:54   530 views